[nabs-l] Independent Travel At Crowded Major CollegeSporting Events

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 17:14:16 UTC 2010

Jedi,

Even the Louisiana Center builds up to the point where students are sent to
unfamiliar towns to fulfill a task.  I think Kerri is brave as all get out
to even consider showing up to a stadium by herself, and while we all wish
her the best and are rooting for her to have a good time, I would hate for
her to run the risk of having a rotten time and assume this might be a
reflection of what it might be like to tackle other tasks that are more
easily accomplished.  Sometimes you need to get out and do things to build
up your confidence.  I chose not to attend a center and understood when I
made that choice that I would need to find my own way to push my limits, but
I have also understood that it is far more profitable to tackle the everyday
tasks that are going to build my core than it is to go on adventures that
might only bring about more frustrations in the process of achieving them.
For example, in my line of work I have to attend large events where I know
absolutely no one.  As the lead development and fundraising person for my
organization, I have to try to make key contacts in order to meet our
multimillion-dollar budget every year.  I've built up to attending larger
conventions.  I started with smaller roundtable presentations, and while my
confidence is sometimes swayed when I show up in large ballrooms, I don't
know that going to a stadium concert, for example, will do anything to help
me out in these everyday types of situations.  So, if Kerri pulls it off
this weekend, I say, "hell yeah!"  Write an article about it and show us all
how's it's done, but if she doesn't it's okay too, because independence is
genuinely developed through everyday practice and not through major leaps.

Best,

Joe