[nabs-l] Independent Travel At Crowded MajorCollegeSportingEvents

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 15:50:54 UTC 2010

Kerry,
Try and make your messages more concise; you said the same thing several
times.  Going to a crowded bar is not the same as a game.  You may have been
helped so much because you typically need help.  If I don't need help I just
tell the person and sometimes they still follow me and I state again I got
directions and I'm fine.  If its real important for them not to follow,
sometimes I stop and do something like pretend to check my messages on my
cell phone.  This tends to get them away; they don't want to wait around for
me to finish what ever I'm doing.

For the game you are way over thinking it.  If you arrive early as has been
suggested and have a fully charged cell phone those are steps that will
help.  You have plenty of time to explore; its not as crowded then and the
drunks are in the parking lot.
Again I think its fine to ask where a seat is because sighted people get
lost and get assistance.  Ushers will be there and its their job to direct
people.

As to the bar, I'd have a hard time navigating too.  Loud music and people
makes me disoriented.  That environment is not conducive to exploring!
You'll have to feel for landmarks with your cane.  Their will  not be
auditory cues.  Sometimes you'll hear the bathroom door open and/or running
water inside but if its a crowded bar chances are its not audible due to the
noise!  Sometimes I get help to a bathroom; sometimes on my own in
restaurants; I have not done it at a bar though!
I don't know whether these cues will work in a bar due to the congestion and
every place is different but here are some landmarks and cues I use.

Again most these auditory cues probably will not work in a bar unless you're
really near the restroom and can hear them.

I listen for doors opening.  People walking to the restroom as well.
Often restrooms are in alcoves down a small hallway or a nook.  So I feel
for the opening.  Changes in surface also help.  Near a restroom often its
tile or a carpet there.
If you've been there before, remember the smell.  As the restroom opens it
will have a certain smell to it.

Finally before entering a restroom I ensure to read the sign.  I think
you're totally blind so if its not in braille ask someone.  You don't want
to enter the wrong restroom.

Ashley