[nabs-l] Independent Travel At Crowded MajorCollegeSportingEvents

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 00:03:08 UTC 2010

Hello Kerri,
Unfortunately, comparing these two experiences is like comparing
apples and oranges. The people at the bar have seen you before, the
people at the stadium have not.

This was not a test at all. You have been going to this bar for a long
time and, the whole time, you have shown every patron in the bar that
you need assistance to get to the rest room. For months they've
watched you demonstrate that you cannot independently take yourself to
the rest room. Then, suddenly, you set off alone to find it and expect
that all the patrons who have watched you be guided to the rest room
every night you've been there, will somehow, psychically know that you
don't need help. What's more, they are supposed to watch you wander
about, knowing that you always need guidance, because that's what
you've shown them in the past, and not offer you help.

Kerri, this was not well thought out and is in no way any kind of a
comparison to your visit to the stadium. The only way you will
convince the patrons at the bar that you are capable of getting
yourself to the rest room is to make a public announcement over the
microphone that you're working on your independence skills and that
you'd welcome encouragement but that you don't need any actual help.
As you're a regular at this bar I'm sure everyone will be happy to
encourage you. But, you can't teach them that you need guidance for
months and then suddenly expect that they won't help you when you go
wandering off alone. As for how do you get people to let you do things
for yourself, you tell them what you're doing. Saying, "I'm good" is
rediculous. They can see that you're obviously lost and that, in their
mind, you're not good. Such a comment adds to their beliefs about your
incompetence. You're saying your're good, but you are lost. For you to
think you are good while you are obviously lost seems crazy to them,
so they assume you don't know what you're talking about. Much like
they would think about a child. This is quite reasonable thinking.
They don't know about the abilities of blind people with goods skills,
or about how structured discovery learning works. You will need to
educate them. As you go there regularly, you need to take the time to
explain to the people who offer help why you don't want assistance.
Explain what you're doing and why you're doing it. This is how you
make friends. You meet people, you talk to them, they get to know you
and you build relationships. You talk to people Kerri.

You need to say what you're doing. Try saying. "I'm walking around to
learn where everything is so that I can take myself where I need to go
instead of getting help all the time." This sounds like a reasonable
explanation to me. Why wouldn't you tell them what you were doing?
This is not difficult Kerri. Furthermore, you need to remember that
you have trained the regular people at the bar to believe you need
help. Therefore, this is not a typical siguation where you go to a new
place and walk around learning where everything is. If you tell
sighted people that your way of looking around is to walk around and
check out where things are by touch, smell, sound etc. they will
understand perfectly and let you alone.

As for the man with a harsh voice, why would you possibly find this
frightening?  He didn't try to help you without permission, or grab
you or anything unkind.  or assume he knew what you wanted, he simply
asked where you were going. If you plan to get out and about in the
world you're going to need to cultivate the attitude that most people
you'll ever meet are your friends. The poor guy probably just used his
usual voice which happens to be a bit raspy, or maybe it sounded a bit
odd because he was speaking loud because of the noise in the bar.

Kerri, if you want to enjoy life and the independence you are seeking
to develop you're going to need to stop looking for things to be
scared of. In your position I would have asked him his name and asked
if he came to the bar often. I would tell him I was glad he had such a
unique voice because it made him easy to remember. I'd tell him I came
often and invite him to say "hi" when he saw me next. I'd thank him
for his assistance. I be telling myself that now I at least knew one
regular at the bar and be hoping he'd say hi next time. That way
perhaps he'd tell his friends to say "hi" as well. I would not be
breathing a sigh of relief and taking comfort in the fact that at
least the scary  man with the harsh voice went away so quickly.

If you want people to treat you like an adult then you'll have to
speak to them as equals, telling them what you're doing and telling
them how they can be helpful if they want to help. People usually want
to be friends Kerri, they're not out to get you. Start with that
belief and your travel/discovery experiences will be much more joyful.
And please, don't compare apples with oranges and use the unpleasant
results as something to encourage fearfulness. By all means, be smart
and plan wisely. Think things through and ask advice. But don't spend
time looking for things to worry about. Life has plenty of real
problems for you to solve without you inventing them.

Have a good time at the football and let us know how things went. And,
remember! you are among a crowd of basically nice people.

Regards,

Heather