[nabs-l] Have any of you taken the LSATS?

Dennis Clark dennisgclark at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 20 21:19:23 UTC 2010

Hello Justin,
If one is serious about going to law school, you should not take the LSAT
until you have taken a training course such as Stanly Kaplan, and then only
after you have taken so many practice exams that your score has leveled off,
and that score is high enough to get you into the law schools you are
targeting.  If your score is not high enough at that point then you need to
get more training to help you figure out what you are missing that is
causing your score to be lower than you are shooting for.  Also you should
not even apply to take the LSAT and request accommodations until you have
done all this because you will then know precisely what accommodations you
need to be successful on the LSAT based on your own experience taking sample
exams.  Getting into law school is not easy, so preparing for that goal
should be done with the same amount of effort that an athlete expends when
preparing for the Olympics.  People who are not willing to do this will not
get into a great law school, and they shouldn't because they will be
terrible lawyers.  Are you currently in high school, college or grad school?
Your question is a good one, and unfortunately too many people who say their
goal is law school take the LSAT casually, just to see how well they will
do.  This is a very bad idea, because that score will be preserved and
reported to law schools, even if you take the exam a second or third time
and do better.  Feel free to contact me off line if you want to talk about
law as you are preparing for your career.
All the best,
Dennis