[nabs-l] Have any of you taken the LSATS?

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 03:36:38 UTC 2010

Justin,

In my case, I was not in the financial position to afford the Kaplan courses
or similar structured review sessions.  Rather, I had someone Braille about
ten different previously administered exams.  I did the first couple at a
casual pace to get myself oriented with the layout, and then I began timing
myself section by section until I finally began timing myself taking the
whole thing.  I bought the three Power Score Bibles, and as far as
commercial material goes, the material packed some really good practical
advice.  I joined a list-serve of students planning on taking the exam at
the same time I was, and the support was great.  I took the December exam,
which put me at a distinct disadvantage in terms of early applications.
I've heard it told that June administrations are the most difficult because
they see the highest number of test takers, but the exam is what it is no
matter when you take it.  Like Dennis, I believe the LSAT is a one-shot
deal.  You can take it twice, but the exam requires a level of investment
that should deliver the results you want the first time around, which leads
me to perhaps the best advice I can offer.  Make sure law is what you really
want to do for a living.  In my case, I felt that a love of debate and an
enjoyment of critical thinking were sufficient grounds to be a lawyer.
Also, it didn't hurt that this is what my father's been expecting me to do
for many years, but the more I studied for the LSAT and the more I read up
about the law school experiences on websites like Top-Law-Schools.com, the
more I realized law was not quite the area where I saw myself in fifteen
years.  In fact, I went through a brief period where I felt completely
stupid for pursuing public administration and public policy in my
undergraduate and graduate studies, because public relations and marketing
is really where I feel I perform at my peak.  I love commercials and media
campaigns, and although I would never pass up the opportunity to try to
protect the rights of the vulnerable, I feel I can still do that without
taking on the enormous sacrifice of law school.  Also, I think Grisham
scared me away. LOL  In terms of accommodations, I requested extra time, a
Braille writer for the logic problems, a laptop for the writing section and
a reader/scribe.  Honestly, despite these accommodations, which was an
experience in patience in of itself, the greater thing I would have
practiced more is striking a better balance between what sections were
better for me to read for myself in Braille and what sections I would have
relied on my reader to convey to me.  After taking the exam I learned other
people were requesting double time instead of what I thought of as the
traditional time and a half.  Maybe that would have helped me, but I still
feel that it's good to use your simulated exams to take into account all the
various methods you can use to pass the exam with a good score.  Another guy
I know who's on this list shared with me his idea of using spreadsheets as
part of the logic games, and I think the idea is quite brilliant and one I
wish I would have thought of myself.  Ultimately, try to figure out what law
you want to practice and the schools that offer that program.  The LSAT is
important no matter where you go, but you don't have to attend a great law
school to be a great lawyer.  Some schools really will take a well-rounded
approach to evaluating your application, and studying for the exam should
not replace the all-too-important task of getting some professional
experience after college and obtaining some leadership positions in
community activities.  My LSAT score is good for another four years if I
change my mind, which is part of the beauty of getting the exam out of the
way.  Take it seriously but don't let it dominate you.  I wish you all the
best of luck.  You're asking questions, and that's one good way to get
yourself prepared for the road ahead.

Best,

Joe