[nabs-l] Looking for Some Advice on Using Readers

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 02:48:06 UTC 2010

Hello Dave and all,

I believe some policies at disabled students services offices to be quite misguided, backward, and counter-productive. I would argue however that a student-hired  reader has seen and become familiar with the test subject matter by virtue of reading and describing all text book material.

This affinity creates a good study environment.

Students who need readers typically need them for math, science, and other symbol-rich content like logic. Readers must be able to give all written information to the student, and take down dictation from the student back onto paper. Test proctoring readers must be educated in the subject the test addresses.  Test-taking should be done by someone able to read, describe, dictate, analyze, yes I said analyze, understand the form and language of the field, take dictation from student, clarify and aid student to put hers or his answers in coherent written form. You can see where reading alone is not enough, but communicating the written text would be. After all, the reader has become familiar with the content by reading and describing all test material. Sound familiar?

Student-hired, student-trained, student-centered readers may or may not provide extra help, aka cheating tips during the test-taking process. I can understand why the DSS would not accept a reader with so much student training in reading, and on the course content to proctor the exams.

The alternative in my opinion is to have a reader, the DSS-hired reader be prescreened by the student, and trained by the same to ensure the reader can read the content, convey the written mathematical or what have you information to the student. The reader must be able to communicate with, and receive directions from the student. She or he must be very good at dealing with graphs, charts, and all expressions the student is expected to know.

If you think I am saying the reader must be familiar with the course content, you are right. You can't take a math-iliterate reader to and put her to proctor a calculus exam. You can use an engineering student for a geometry course because the reader will have transferrable
math and graphics skills.

Schools can find suitable students by involving students in the hiring process, conducting reader training with the student, and so on.

School-hired readers have an obligation to the school to make testing accessible to the student, and if done right, I believe everybody wins.

Sincerely,

Antonio Guimaraes