[nabs-l] Reasonable technology requests from Rehab andsomeother college questions

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 05:24:01 UTC 2011

Hi Jordan and all,

When I applied to college, because of advice from my DSS counselor and
encouragement from my parents, I disclosed on the housing application
that I was blind. I was assigned a single room, and initially I was
assigned a handicapped-accessible room. I fought to get a
non-handicapped room, but decided to keep the single because I feared
that my technology would crowd out a roommate. As it turned out, I
brought a Braille printer that I didn't ever use. If I could do it
over again, I would never have told housing that I had a "disability"
or requested a single. I made an effort to socialize with my
floormates, but still I felt I didn't quite click with the other girls
on my floor and I really think if I'd have had a roommate it would
have been a lot easier to get in the social swing. Nowadays, most
college students come with a computer of some sort and I think many
also bring a printer. You can get a scanner that's integrated into
your printer, so if you have a scanner/printer, a computer and
screen-reading software, you really have no more equipment than your
sighted dorm-mates will have. Even if you splurge and also get a
Braille Note, Pac Mate or other portable notetaker, it can easily fit
on your desk, and if you bring a laptop or netbook, your equipment is
even more compact. So don't worry about any special housing
accommodations, unless perhaps if you have a guide dog.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org