[nabs-l] educating faculty and staff

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 03:57:53 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I’m meeting with the ADA coordinator and probably a few other officials to advocate for adequate technology and accomodations.
I’d like to also share tips on interacting with blind people and show blind people working and playing regularly.

I know we’re all different, but I figured there may be some curtesy rules out there.
Maybe youtube videos?
For one thing I’d like something explaining sighted guide; if you are going to lead someone, lead them properly and offer an arm. Do not grab the blind person’s cane or arm.  Tips might be: announce who you are when you arrive, announce when you are walking away, speak in a normal volume because we hear fine and its okay to use visual words such as “see” and “watch”.

Thanks for ideas.

Ashley