[nabs-l] Preparing to attend an Nfb Training Center

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 23:09:46 UTC 2013

Yes you should start by contacting the director(s) of the centers you
are considering. Each center probably has a different way of handling
applications. In the case of LCB, I contacted Pam by email and we set
up a phone meeting to chat about the center. Then she also took time
out of her busy convention schedule to meet me for breakfast. That was
in July 2007, when I got things moving and then I started training in
January 2008. So if you stay on top of things the process can move
pretty quickly. You should also talk to your VR counselor, if you have
one, about your interest in going to a center, but be prepared to
defend your decision if it's an out-of-state center. That's why it's
often helpful to talk with the center directors first so they can give
you some talking points to use in your justification explaining why it
is worth the extra money for VR to send you to an NFB center even if
it's out-of-state. Sometimes the center directors can even intervene
on your behalf by talking with folks at your VR agency or writing
letters to help support your decision.

Best of luck,
Arielle