[nabs-l] Subscribing to The Student Slate

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 7 18:42:24 UTC 2013

Hello Arielle,

I have reread your message after getting some much needed sleep, and I
cannot help but notice that you seemed to have seen my message as some sort
of complaint. I cannot help but wonder, how is it that my message is seen as
a complaint while your message is not despite the fact that they appear to
convey the same kind of message?

I spent about a week away from this email list to attend to some personal
matters in my life. When I returned to the list, I saw Roanna sent out a
message about subscribing to the Student Slate on August 21, 2013. I was not
completely sure what she was referring to in her message, so I thought I
would check out the website to find out what she was talking about before
responding to her message. However, by the time I was about to respond to
her message, I saw she posted a second message about a week after her
initial post.

I thought it was rather sad that no one from the NABS board or Slate
committee responded to her post. It does not seem unreasonable to expect
someone from the NABS board to respond to an email within the week in which
it was posted. This is why I offered an apology as a part of my response to
her message.

I then went on to provide what information I could in regards to this issue
as a general member. If you feel as though this information is incorrect,
then perhaps you may wish to encourage the NABS board to communicate with
the general membership on public forums such as this one on a more regular
basis.

In the past, the NABS board has done a good job posting issues of the
Student Slate to all of the student email lists. However, it would appear as
though the last issue of the Student Slate was only posted through the
current membership database and not through the email lists. As a general
member, I did not know if this was a permanent feature of a new delivery
system, or simply an oversight due to convention activities. I am glad to
hear it was nothing more than an oversight, and most likely will not happen
again.

However, I am not sure how I am expected to know this information as a
general member when we do not hear from the BABS board on a regular basis. I
also do not appreciate being scolded for doing my best to answer a question
from another member on this email list despite the fact that I could not
provide an adequate answer as a general member. I simply did my best to
provide her with the information I knew as a general member, and then
pointed her in the direction of someone who could provide her with more
accurate information. I fail to see how this qualifies as some sort of
complaint.

I agree that patience is definitely the key when corresponding with the NABS
board. I believe Roanna displayed this kind of patience considering the fact
that she first posted her question to this list about a month ago. Please
forgive me for not displaying this same kind of patience. I simply felt as
though she deserved an answer to her question.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth