[nabs-l] Seeking Advice and Experiences on Studying Abroad

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:11:56 UTC 2014

  Tips that might help, based on my experiences studying here in Mexico,
but it also applies to other Spanish-speaking countries:
1.-Be very very comfortable with yourself and very vocal about speaking
for yourself in acomodations of books and other materials; like in the
States, there are good/willing professors, and others who don't care;
also if in the university or school (like with mine) they've never had a
blind student, they might be at a loss of how to acomodate certain
things. So speak up!
2.-Technology: Mek sure you take technology especially blindness-related
like notetakers etc., because almost all countries in Latinamerica,
don't loan technology as in the US; even worse, because here in
Latinamerica, blindness technology is so expensive, the culture of using
it, isn't wisespread; most blind people here in latinamerica, use
regular Laptops with Jaws or other screen readers installed.
3.-Tell your library you're moving abroad: It sure feels lonely
sometimes being in another country! so from time to time, having an
English book to read, really makes you feel a lot better! Also some
books required might be available from Bard! American citizens living
abroad, remember, also get service! So tell your library of you're
studying abroad, and they'll transfer the services to the overseas
librarian.
4.-Join Bookshare: For students, it's free, and it's always good to have
another source of books, right?
5.-Enjoy! Enjoy your studying abroad! you'll value things you took for
granted in the US!
Hope these tips help!