[nabs-l] Seeking Advice and Experiences on Studying Abroad

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 01:54:08 UTC 2014

I studied in Australia for a semester. I know that's not one of the
countries you mentioned, but I'm happy to answer general questions
off-list.
I do have one general tip which is to find out if there are any
blindness organizations or services in the country you are visiting
and check out what resources they have to offer. I'm really glad I
connected with Vision Australia since they provided me orientation to
campus and even let me borrow a book I needed for class in hard copy
Braille! I also got to hang out with some young blind people in
Australia which was fun.
Personally I would feel a bit anxious about living in a country where
I didn't speak or understand the language fluently, because I think
that makes it hard to ask for information or directions when walking
around. But I know other blind people who have done it successfully.
Of course, if you are fluent in Spanish, this shouldn't be a problem.

Best,
Arielle