[nabs-l] Accessibility work arounds for Google Docs, When is Good, etc.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 02:05:10 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll particularly check out the
article Katie Wang just posted for ideas.

I think most of the time we use the spreadsheet feature on Google
apps.  I tried to use this last year, along with the accessibility
tips in Google help files, and had significant problems with it.  It
was much easier to use Windows magnifier to read the screen visually,
which in itself didn't make the task very easy and strained my eyes
after a few minutes.  We also use the calendar, and this has worked a
little better for me once I manage to get the events to display in
list format rather than in calendar view.  using Jaws 13 I had issues
getting to the button to make this view change, but I have always used
IE, which could have been the issue there.

Like I said, google forms for surveys, and of course gmail, have
worked fine for me.  I can't really use the dropbox idea, which is
unfortunate because as easy as it would make life for me, it wouldn't
be easy for the file to be continuously updated by various chapter
members, and I would also be subject to missing information due to not
having access to those updates if the person in charge of updating the
dropbox file forgot.  Like I said the 20 something other girls in the
chapter already have their system, so we're trying to find ways to
make it accessible for me with the existing platforms we have rather
than to change platforms entirely for the chapter.  I would love to
use dropbox though rather than Google drive, and will probably see if
it can be managed for a committee, or projects I may undertake with a
small group of people.

When is Good is still going to be problematic.  Does anyone know of
work arounds for that?  I've been sending my schedule and availability
to people who send out the surveys, but I always feel a little awkward
about it because I know sometimes there is other information listed in
the survey that I am not privy to.  E.G, only certain meeting times
will be shown as possible options, or the survey creator will put a
note in the survey for people to read that I miss out on.  I'll keep
sending my availability via email if I have to, but if anyone has
happened to find a way to make When is Good work, or has found a
comparable service that is accessible I can tell my chapter about, I
would really appreciate it.

Kaiti