[nabs-l] Statistical/data analysis software

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:49:57 UTC 2014

Hi Kirt,

I have not used SPSS in about 7 years, but I believe it is mostly
accessible. I use a competing program, SAS, for my data analysis in a
professional research setting, and think it is slightly more
accessible than SPSS. However, the bigger concern is that SPSS (or
SAS) private licenses cost money, and most students use SPSS on shared
computers. So it probably makes sense for you to use SPSS only if the
shared computer in your class building is outfitted with JAWS. I don't
believe SPSS is accessible yet on the Mac and I don't know how well it
plays with WindowEyes or NVDA.
For this reason, I usually advise undergrad students to use either
Excel or the free web-based calculator at
www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs
for your data analysis needs, if your professor allows. Depending on
the extent to which SPSS is used in the course, you could also work
with another student if the shared workstation is not outfitted with
JAWS.
There is also R, a free program, that some blind people have used
successfully, though R is harder to learn than either Excel or
Graphpad.

If you get a list of the statistical functions you will be expected to
do and want to share that with me off-list, I can advise on whether
Excel and GraphPad will be sufficient.

Best of luck!
Arielle