[nabs-l] Statistical/data analysis software

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 00:51:26 UTC 2014

Hi Kirt,

I second Arielle's comments about checking out free alternatives to
SpSS. I also wanted to mention that I have been using SPSS on a
regular basis for the past six years and found it mostly accessible
with several work-arounds, so if you do end up using the software on a
shared workstation with JAWS and have questions about its
accessibility features, I would be happy to help. Good luck!

Best,
Katie

On 8/25/14, Arielle Silverman via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Kirt,
>
> I have not used SPSS in about 7 years, but I believe it is mostly
> accessible. I use a competing program, SAS, for my data analysis in a
> professional research setting, and think it is slightly more
> accessible than SPSS. However, the bigger concern is that SPSS (or
> SAS) private licenses cost money, and most students use SPSS on shared
> computers. So it probably makes sense for you to use SPSS only if the
> shared computer in your class building is outfitted with JAWS. I don't
> believe SPSS is accessible yet on the Mac and I don't know how well it
> plays with WindowEyes or NVDA.
> For this reason, I usually advise undergrad students to use either
> Excel or the free web-based calculator at
> www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs
> for your data analysis needs, if your professor allows. Depending on
> the extent to which SPSS is used in the course, you could also work
> with another student if the shared workstation is not outfitted with
> JAWS.
> There is also R, a free program, that some blind people have used
> successfully, though R is harder to learn than either Excel or
> Graphpad.
>
> If you get a list of the statistical functions you will be expected to
> do and want to share that with me off-list, I can advise on whether
> Excel and GraphPad will be sufficient.
>
> Best of luck!
> Arielle
>
> On 8/25/14, Derek Manners via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> I found excel to be accessible and able to do most things you'd need to
>> do.
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 25, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Kirt Manwaring via nabs-l
>>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Nabsters,
>>> This semester I will be taking a political analysis course relying
>>> heavily on data analysis. Our class will be using a program called
>>> SPSS to organize and analyze sets of data. My question, for those of
>>> you who have taken statistics or other quantative analysis courses,
>>> how accessible is SSPS? If this program will not work, is there an
>>> accessible alternative I will be able to use? Is there any more
>>> general advice I should be aware of in regards to statistical analysis
>>> with screen readers? Any help you could give me would be very much
>>> appreciated.
>>> Best,