[nabs-l] Let's share How I started with computers

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 22:33:27 UTC 2014

  HI guys
OK I'm kind of nostalgic with in the US being the first day of school
and such details, thus I wonder if maybe starting a thread on how we
started with technology, especially computers/notetakers to go back
memory lane?
Here's my story: Back in around the summer of 91, my VI teacher thought
it was time for me to be started on computers, thus she recommended my
parents buy the Keysoft system from Humanware; by the way I was about to
start the 7th grade, and my Vi teacher changed jobs, so imagine new
grade plus new computer? Anyway I started with Keysoft 1.32 on a Desktop
machine, in which you had to take the machine apart and insert some kind
of card on which the synthesizer was on; the synthesizer chosen was the
Keynote Gold. Anyway as soon as I got back from vacation (fortunately it
was a few days before school started so I had time) I began listening to
the Keysoft cassettes, and working out little by little with the
software. Imagine my feeling of victory the first time I wrote my
summer's trip story all by myself, or when I turned in my first written
assignment to school, or when I wrote my first letter to my
grandparents? Let's backtrack Several years before (maybe around 1988,
I'd taken typing lessons in school, thus my parents bought me my first
electric typewriter, but it's not the same typing away, versus typing
and being able to review, correct mistakes)!
Continuing the story, I worked with Keysoft first on a Desktop for
several months, with the card synthesizer, and then in March of 92, my
folks bbought me a Laptop with an external Keynote Gold synthesizer,
Keysoft 1.33 and the MasterTouch screen reader; remember that setup?
Time went on; in around 94/95, the school gave me a taste of other
technology which I used until my High School graduation (Braille Lite,
and Keynote Companion), but because these had to be returned to the
school, we began finding a way to get myself a BrailleLite since i'd
need to be able to read/write in Spanish, thus the Keynote Companion was
out of the question back then. Anyway the university donated me a
Braille Lite18 which I used until around 2004 all through my major and
graduate, until it's battery died. So I was without a notetaker and
missing its advantages and stuck with a Laptop with Jaws, in 2012 an
IPhone which my parents bought, until thanks to an essay contest geared
for blind people outside the US, in which they gave away several
notetakers, I got my Apex!
So how did you guys start using technology? Even when some of you are
out of school, aside from if you've had luck with the rehabilitation
agency purchasing, how have you guys continued to have/use it?

--
Enviado desde mi lap
RompiendoBarreras espacio de psicología/Superación Personal Sábados 10PM México http://radiogeneral.com ¡los esperamos!