[nabs-l] Typing While Talking

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 01:27:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

In addition to what Antonio and others have said, why not abbreviate
your notes?  I do this in class all the time, and if I need to further
clarify something I'll just explain more later when I review what I've
written.  I would do that in addition to making sure you have an
agenda already laid out in a document.  When I served as secretary of
the Ohio Association of Blind Students last year, having a document
with the agenda already spelled out made my job a lot easier.  I would
also set your speech to words only as Cindy suggested, and see about
usint getting permission from your colleagues to record the meetings
as a back up.  Long-term, it would be advantageous to learn braille.
IT is so much easier to handle these kinds of things with a notetaker
or a braille display rather than a computer and screenreader, so you
can have one less voice to follow.

I believe the Hadley School for the Blind could give you the braille
instruction you need, but I'm not sure how their distance learning
courses work for people outside of the U.S.  I'd recommend looking
them up to see if they could make braille training possible for you.

Kaiti