[nabs-l] The Importance Of Independent Travel

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 11:45:01 UTC 2014

Good morning,

Personally, I like to think of it as interdependent travel, recruting
your fellow man, and sort of directing him where you need to go.
Admittedly, this means of travel found me after becoming injured such
that I was unable to keep track of direction and what they call rout
reversal, became for me no more than a pipe dream.

In my experience, however, if you just let go of this idea that to
prove to Ol'Sighty of  blindness' being  what is it, little more than
a mere inconvenience, everyone must be some kind of super blink whom,
by simply waving his long, white cane can travel any course, under
any circumstances in pitch ocular darkness. Sure, this social
construct is certainly possible to live within and many people do it,
but not everybody is super Federationist blink!

After all, interpersonal contact, I believe, is more of a palpable,
alternative to demonstrating to Ol'Sighty things of which most of us
are capable, that Ol'Sighty might remember. I'm fond of iterating
that Ol'Sighty cares not about the means to which the blink reaches
the same ends, noticing only that, eventually he gets there. So, if
it becomes a matter of walking through an airport, say, to
demonstrate to Ol'Sighty ways in which most blinks can, and do
advocate for themselves, it may be a plausible course of action to
grab Ol'Sighty from one of the hoards that are invariably around and,
placing your hand on his shoulder, tell him where you need to be and
see if he can help you. Of course, should he be in a hurry you can
find someone else, but wait for an indication of said sighted person
being unable to help. It is in this way you can actually have a
conversation with a sighted person, maybe even exchange names?
Agreed, the super blink means of seamlessly gliding through a crowd
is intimidating, and not exactly if I may say so myself, realistic of
every blink. Let that go! Probably, you are not a super blink, at
least by their rigid standards.
for today, Car
408-209-3239