[nabs-l] highschool question

Marissa Tejeda marissat789 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 22:32:05 UTC 2014

I know this may sound...  (lack for a word right now).
I have made friends very easily all my life.  High school may
seem hard, but it really isn't.  (smiles)
I'm in the tenth grade, and have bunches of friends.  I am in
band, but when I play with the others, no one notices I'm blind.
It would help if I had some music, but that's a different story.
I did perform in a pep rally last year.  I got two standing
ovations, (there were two rallies so everyone in the school could
go).
I sat at a table by myself, one day.  (This was just this week.)
Two girls sat across from me.  I didn't talk, so they didn't talk
to me, (same would have happened, had I been able to see).  Then,
my friends, Michelle and Jessica, came and sat by me.  I started
talking with them; the two girls that sat across from me were
friends of there's.  we ended up having a great time and now, I
can ALMOST tell them by voice.  I still get confused between
Michelle and Jessica, but I'm getting better.

Just be open about it.  This may sound cruel to some, but I'm so
open about my blindness, I'll joke about it in class.  "I can't
see the board, can I move?" or someone says, "I'll see you
tomorrow, Marissa." I'll turn, look at them, and say, "I won't."
It gets people laughing.  I answer questions about being blind,
whenever I'm asked.  Some people are shy; just say, "It's ok, you
can ask."
They think they will offend you.  Just let them know that they
won't.

If you need any help, feel free to email me off-list.