[nabs-l] Advice needed

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:41:10 UTC 2014

Hi bridget,

Can you give us some more information about what this course is
and exactly what happened?  Without knowing exactly why you were
dropped from the program and what you can and cannot take it's
difficult to give useful advice.  Being dropped from a program
for a health problem would be entirely reasonable as long as the
problem is permanent and prevents you from doing what you have to
do to complete the program, but if it's for some other reason,
then that's of course ridiculous.  As others have said, what your
adviser says is irrelevant because you can take whatever courses
you want unless you're talking about a departmental advisor, who
does have the authority to remove you from a program.  If this
persists, you should go up the chain of authority.  First talk to
the advisor again and see if you can straiten things out.  If
that doesn't work, go to the department chair, and if that
doesn't work, go to the dean.  Whatever you do don't start off by
going straight to the provost or president; that just makes you
look like a trouble maker who isn't smart enough to use proper
procedures.  You might end up talking to the upper levels of the
administration, but make sure you've gone through all the lower
levels first.

Best,
Karl