[nabs-l] Mentoring a younger student; when enough is enough

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Tue Feb 11 05:17:39 UTC 2014

Hello all
I know my subject and message may sound heartless, and I apologize.
There is a blind student a few years younger than me in my school district that will be attending my high school next year. I have helped this student by serving as a guide in going to middle school programs. My vi asked if I would do a tour of the high school and answer questions. This is fine with me.
My fear is that I will be asked to help with some sort of tutoring. I do not feel I can do this. This student has multiple disabilities, I am not a teacher, and I will have a rigorous class schedule plus dealing with responsibilities with junior year. I have mentioned this to my parents and parra, who i feel are supporting me. However, I am afraid my vi will not understand my reasons or misconstrue them for me being rude, which I do not want to do. I do not want to say this to early and be presumptuous, but I do not want to be misleading. Thank you for any advice.