[NABS-L] Job Interview: Seeking Advice on Disclosing my Disability

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 16:22:43 UTC 2019

Hello Everyone,
I am following this thread and tried to keep silent. However, I feel I
must say something at this point. It is a shame that people feel they
have to withhold such a vital piece of information about how they work
and conduct themselves on a day-to-day basis. By leaving disclosure
until the very last second, we run the risk of the person receiving
the news in a negative way. Personally, if there is no space to
disclose on a CV or application, I send an accompanying cover letter
which gives me a chance to describe my disability, what it means to me
and what sets me apart from other candidates for the job. In my
opinion, saying nothing or just turning up to an interview with a cane
or dog, surprising your interviewer is not only discourteous, it's an
opportunity lost to describe the positive aspects of your disability.
This frame of mind depends on a positive view of being blind/visually
impaired. If you view it negatively, it is natural to wish to hide it.
My disability is part of what has shaped me as a person and the
thought of hiding it, even if it were possible, feels unpleasant.
Still, we're all different and disability can mean different things to
different people.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.

--