[NABS-L] Other options besides college

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:37:56 UTC 2019

Hi John and all,

I studied as a musician, and although I always loved college and
academics, I can speak to the music as a career discussion here.

Most musicians do need to supplement their income with some other
skills.  I tutored German, taught voice lessons, worked at our
school's adaptive tech office, and eventually worked for a tech
company from home.  Somehow, accessibility testing became my
bread-earning job, and although it wasn't my joy in life, I was
grateful it could pay the bills.  I would recommend being more
intentional about this though than I was.  Think about what you like
to do and have some skill doing.  Do you like to work with people?  Do
you like mechanical things?  Do you like computers?  Do you like
teaching or working with children?  Once you've made a list of things
you can consider, begin doing some research into what it will take to
do those kinds of jobs.  If music is your career, then what other
hobbies do you have that you can turn into bread-earners?

And here's the thing, from one musician to any other fellow musicians
out there.  Seek to be a well-rounded musician.  It will give you more
life experience, allow you to see the world in different ways, thus
inspiring your creativity, and you will be able to make more money to
feed yourself.  Also, if you supplement your life with other assions
in addition to music, you will be less likely to burn out.

If you think about the types of side careers you are interested in,
you will be able to find out if they require college, trade school, or
anything else.  I will add here that if you are ever interested in
teaching music, this is much easier to do with a college degree.  You
can probably teach music without one, but the degree gives you a lot
of weight to throw around in that world as a teacher.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; President, National Federation of the