[NABS-L] Disclosure of Blindness

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 18:04:23 UTC 2019

Hello,
I always disclose and I use my disability as an advantage, explaining
why I am the best person for the job. It's quite difficult to separate
my skills from my disability anyway. I could hardly talk about being
able to read and write in 11 Braille codes, without hinting why I know
so much about Braille, for example. My CV has a lot of jobs like this;
Braille Music Teacher, Braille product consultancy, I have worked and
continue to work for the RNIB and other disability focused
organisations. If you were reading my CV, you would probably ask
yourself why there was such a high volume of Braille interest, if I
could see. If your disability is not a hidden disability, your
application and interview are your opportunities to sell yourself as a
package. If you wait to be, as it were, found out, you place yourself
in an awkward position and in a bad light. Why do that when you can
frame it in a positive way?

Very best wishes,
Sandra.

--