[nagdu] Young dogs slowing down in summer heat / Harness with quick release handle

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 07:17:51 UTC 2009

Hi every one,  I don"t have a problem with my young dog or my older dog
slowing down in summer heat. My dogs do not seem to be very bothered by the
heat here in Arizona. I always carry 2 or 3 bottles of water and stop
frequently in the shade to rest the dog I am using and to give them water. I
also wet down their heads and ears with water. I always use boots in the
summer so their feet don't get burned. Both Nala and Shaman seem to have
unlimited energy. Sometimes, I wish they would slow down and give my left
arm a rest. Both dogs have a strong pull into the harness and both have a
fast and steady gait. they have no trouble keeping up with my wheelchair. I
try to schedule my appointments for early mornings in the summer but that is
not always possible. If the temperature is over 104%, I do leave my dog
home. I try to stay home also when it is that hot. I had to go out this
morning and when I returned home, it was 102% out side. Shaman did not slow
down at all.          Sam, I would be interested to know more about the
harness and handle you were working with. I am currently using the LDS guide
harness with the quick release "panic snaps" handle on my dogs.I don't fly
any more, but have some times had to remove the handle when on a crowded bus
so that it does not get caught under a seat or so the dog can fit into a
tight spot.    Have a great day,  Mardi, and Shaman, guide dog, and Nala
retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/