[nagdu] Shaman has passed the blind fold test

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 07:47:55 UTC 2009

Hi every one,  Shaman has passed the blind fold test. He is now a guide
dog!  I am so proud of him. He has already saved my butt twice now.He
refused to go forward when given the command to go, and a car came speeding
around the corner and went through the red light. Another car backed out of
a driveway with out looking and would have hit us if Shaman had not stopped
suddenly and backed up. His training went slow in the beginning but in the
last 2 months, he really began to get what being a guide dog is all about.
He still gets distracted some times but when it counts,he is all business.
Time and age will take care of the distractions. He is 1 year and 4 months
old now. I got him in January and only started his guide training in
February. I thought it was going take a lot longer to train him because he
was so young. Nick did a good job and when Nick was unable to work with him
due to his school schedule, I worked with him. I also worked him with Nala
and he learned a lot from her. I have retired Nala, But I will probably use
her once in a while as she still does not want to stay home. I have to keep
her happy also. She is on meds for her asthma and it does not seem to bother
her much this year. Shaman's new harness came the day after my birthday. (
yes, I am 63 now) I got the harness in Burgundy as I thought that would look
nice with his golden coat. I hope I will have many good years with Shaman as
my guide. It took me 1 1/2 years to find the right dog. I do not want to go
through that process again any time soon!  I am so proud of him! Have a
great day,  Mardi, and Shaman, guide dog, and Nala retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/