[nagdu] Preventing Escapes now Greeting People

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Sun May 24 14:52:23 UTC 2009

"My dog doesn't bolt ut the doors, but she has a greeting problem.  I'm

not sure if this is off topic, but I need some suggestions (smile).

Viola has to greet every person that walks in the door.  she does not do

this calmly or gracefully; she insists on jumping on people and acting

completely obnoxiously.  She doesn't jump if I have her on leash, so

unless I'm standing over I can correct her in time for it to count.  She

will run from any room in the house to jump the people at the door.  I

don't mind her greeting people if she could just wait to get in the door

and stay on all four paws.

Jordan and Viola "to Friendly for anyone to handle""

The easiest thing I've found for this is to teach an incompatible behavior,
which in most cases the simple solution is "sit".  So before I let anyone in
the house all the dogs have to 'sit' and 'stay' and remain in a sit until I
release them.  Most times I keep them in the sit until the person is in the
door, said hello, the excitement is over and things are calm.  If the dogs
are still too excited then the person greets each dog while the dog is still
sitting.  Pretty quick the dog learns that 'if I want attention, I need to
keep 4 on the floor and stay in a sit'.  It gives the dog a 'job' to think
about and do rather then get over excited and jump up.

Best of luck

Katrin