[nagdu] Mexican attitudes towards blind people

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 18:00:16 UTC 2010

Yeah, and the lack of education is not limited to those from other countries
and cultures.  /smile/  Nor is the lack of responsibility for pet dogs who
then go out and cause trouble.  Sigh.

It also depends a lot on which part of a country and from which
socioeconomic stratus an individual comes from.  So, for instance, our
former next-door neighbors (they're still neighbors, just not so close),
while being from Mexico, appear to be well-educated and to maintain a fairly
middle-class lifestyle, although they aren't dreadfully well off and both
parents work like fiends to provide some of the educational and social
extras for the kids.

So their attitudes towards my blindness and towards our dogs has been quite
pleasant and respectful.  They taught me to say, "No puedo mirar (I can't
see)" and "perra de guila" (guide dog) so that I can say that to other
Spanish speakers.  Perro trabajan -- which I think you spelled correctly --
would also work.  I just never thought of it.  My Spanish is buried deep in
the cobwebs of my brain, so I've managed to convince the toddler I'm an
idiot in that language.  /smile/  She is as forgiving of my slaughtering
their language as the rest of the family, although she will no doubt learn
to laugh at the joke when I laugh at myself.  /smile/

As for religion...  I don't know how devote the family is; they go to church
many Sundays, but that's about all.  Still, in Latin American or South
American Catholics, I've seen differences in how the people express the
world view from their religious upbringing from Catholics from, say, Ireland
or other European countries, which are different from American Catholics
whose forebears came from those countries...  Then again, DD is from pretty
much the same religious and denominational background I am, but from the
East Coast, not from backwoods Pacific Northwest...  So we sometimes crack
up at how different very basic assumptions are and how they affect how our
families approached certain values.

For the record, the religion-based attitudes and actions that I find myself
being most disrupted by whether with my dog or with my cane appear to be
from that same general branch of the American Protestant Christian faith.
These folks will enter my space intrusively and bar my path to tell me how
important it is that I need to go to church and pray and to let so and so
pray over me for healing and...  Also, I must watch TV preacher X on
whatever day at whatever time.  There was one guy I used to pass on my way
to our old dog park who would follow up to see if I had watched.  God
doesn't want me to be blind, you know...  Trying to side step is difficult
because they sidestep with me...  Good grief!  I try to be paitent and
remind myself that their heart is in the right place, but when someone is
Doing the Lord's Work, they can grow tiresome very quickly and carry on
being tiresome for a good long time.  I always try having a rational
discussion and try educating them on the point that if God didn't want me to
be blind, then probably He wouldn't have arranged my genes the way He did...
And that I am okay with being blind, I'm adapting, it's no big thing,
really, etc.  Then I start wondering if I should just mess with them, since
having grown up and knowing many people from that same religious view, I
know how.  Light up a cigarette, blow smoke in their face and start cussing?
I haven't done it yet, since I really don't like being quite that rude even
when it starts to seem like a fun thing to do.  /grin/  Meanwhile, Mitzi
just sighs and lies down because she's figured out we're in for the long
haul, so she might as well take a break.  /smile/

My friend and former neighbor from my old apartments is very much Pacific
Northwest catholic, although she is no longer devout.  Still, some of the
ways that upbringing has come out in her reaction to my blindness, my dog,
etc., has driven me to fits.  Then again, I drive her to fits sometimes, so
we're still friends.  /smile/  She definitely has a hard time -- and maybe
hasn't managed it yet -- getting past the assumption that I need help, which
seems to mean I need people to do things for me.  Also, women are not
allowed to be angry over, say, being assaulted and stuff, and blind people
less so!  She does the same thing to herself, although her best friend for
life has more attitude than I could ever wish for and keeps telling her to
grow a spine.  /smile/  Oddly, my friend is getting downright uppity lately
and telling people what for when it's appropriate.  I'm so proud of her, I
could just spit.  /grin/

Anyway, understanding is important, and religion -- or even lack of
religious upbringing -- is so much a part of who we are that we can't get
around being influenced by it.  Or, I suppose, being influenced by other
people's religious upbringings because most religions have a lot to say
about the blind and downtrodden.  Sigh.

Tami Smith-Kinney