[nagdu] Disabled vet and service dog banned from supermarket

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 19:24:03 UTC 2010

Ah, I see now where you are coming from.  In many ways, I agree
wholeheartedly.

But when I think in sociological and historical terms, it occurs to me many
of the words we use to indicate class distinctions are based on the
assumption of pedestrian vs. horseman...  it's been a foundation of western
culture.  Those who walk don't count as much as those who ride horses...  Or
now, drive cars.

So what would be the overall cultural implications for us if we suddenly
demonstrate that blind people *can* drive?

Dunno, really.  Those are just musings.  But the problems with employment
and access and all the rest of the rights we seem to have to work -- or even
fight -- to enjoy seem to add up our being second-class citizens.  At best.

Well, our chances of driving in the near future in our regular lives is
still far off, so a pipe dream except perhaps for the young up and comers
among us.  /smile/

Still, if we *can* drive, maybe we move up from the pedestrian class in the
eyes of others?

Or is that a pipe dream, too? /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney