[nagdu] researching programs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 20:22:54 UTC 2010

Jenine,

Lucky you!  Every now and then I get hear about some issue with Mitzi that
some random observer has brought to my roommate or someone they have
identified as my friend -- which seems to mean caretaker in the observer's
mind.  We all generally find these unsolicited communications to be fairly
amusing.  I will confess, thought, that it all upsets my sense of pride in
my independence enormously.  When it comes to my roommate, my feminist side
can throw fits right along with my blind side.

When I realize I've just lost my cool and gotten all snarky and snappy with
Mitzi, I live in fear that someone will leap in to defend that adorable,
innocent creature from the mean old blind woman...  So far, what I mostly
get is warm praise for the dog or even compliements on how well we work
together.  This often so clashes with my opinion of the overall situation
that I wish they had yelled at me instead.  /smile/

As for ownership, I'm pretty firmly in the I-must-own-dog camp.  Part of it
has to do with trust -- if they don't trust me to own my guide dog, I don't
trust them, etc.  Also, I know that I can trust myself to make good
decisions for the dog and to ask for help and advice if I need to do that to
reach the best decision.  And I am the one who is right there with the dog
in the situation I need to make a decision about.  No matter how much I
trust any given school or individual to make good decisions, too, when
they're on the other side of the country trying to figure out what to do
from what I tell over the telephone or even in an e-mail, they have less
information than I do.

That being said, I will also look for good follow up from any program I
might consider in future, because I will intend to use them as my #1 go to
guys when I need someone to go to! /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney