[nagdu] nagdu

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 22 07:57:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

My parents have always supported me in getting a guide dog since I was
little. They've always told me to wait until I'm old enough to look after a
dog, and so long as I look after it properly, they'd be all for me getting a
dog. So now I've got one! I hope your parents change their minds soon.

Just tell them that even though you can get around with a cane, a dog would
be an additional aid for you, as the dog can see where it's going and can
respond to situations and obstacles quicker than your cane can! If they say
anything like "Yeah but you know the dog makes mistakes too", tell them, "so
do other people when they're guiding me. What's the difference?" Now, the
worst case scenario might be that your parents tell you that the dog can't
help you if you get hurt and some talk like that. So, just tell them that
it's true, but other people can help, and you'll learn how to control your
dog in those situations. Just keep talking about the positives about getting
a guide dog, not the negatives. Because by the time you get it, if they're
sensible (sorry, I don't mean that in a bad way), then they'll get to
realise how beneficial the dog is to you, and anything that negative that
might happen will be dealt with better in most cases. Just talk to one of
the guide dog schools about this problem, they should be able to help you!
They're good with assisting people through these family situations, and
they'll teach you how to cope with this issue, and maybe your parents will
accept that their experience will ensure your safety. Hopefully your parents
realise that if someone is there to help you, then your parents will feel
that they don't have to worry so much about you and how you'll handle a dog.

Regards,

Michelle