[nagdu] Puppy Raisers

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 15:26:13 UTC 2010

Dear Cheryl,

Puppy raisers are asked the same question all the time too. I did
not raise a puppy for your school but I think my response as a
puppy raiser may apply anyway as most programs are very similar.

My husband and I raised a long haired shepherd. When people
asked, I told them that the benefits of raising a puppy far
out-weighed the bitter-sweet goodbye. Those benefits included all
the really nice people that I met and became friends with in my
puppy club, the affiliation with a group that was well-respected
and admired by the general public, the personal satisfaction of
being granted the prestigious honor of raising a Seeing Eye
puppy, and the knowledge that my efforts could really make a
difference in someone else's life.

Despite the common misconception, raising a puppy is not a purely
altruistic act. It offers many benefits to the puppy raiser as
well.

Best,
Ginger