[nagdu] Re Schools?

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 7 01:39:23 UTC 2010

Hi!

I want to put in a plug for Guide Dogs of America in Sylmar, California,
just outside of Los Angeles.

Although GDA is about as old as Guide Dogs for the Blind of San Rafael,
California, it has always remained a small school, with classes no larger
than 10 at the max.

First-dog classes last for 28 days, and two-week classes are held for
seasoned graduates.

I got my first five dogs from GDB, and my last two from GDA.

Wilson, who retired in 2007, was trained at home with me at the Graduate
Theological Union in
Berkeley, and Alvin, who graduated last July, trained with me at the Sylmar
campus.  I joined a regular class and graduated after three weeks.

Though everyone is going to have his or her own preference about schools,
and can probably relate good and bad experiences about each one, I can't
find enough good things to say about GDA.

Since you plan to get your first guide dog, let me tell you about my campus
experience at GDA.

GDA was founded by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace
Workers because one of its members, who lost his sight in his 50's, was
turned away by other schools because of his age.

Because of its small size and ethic of nondiscrimination, and maybe because
of its activist Labor origins, GDA has taken students sometimes turned away
by other schools because of their perceived inability to keep up.  when I
was once at GDB, one of my classmates was removed from the program because
she was unhappy with the dog assigned to her and had problems with the
instructors' training techniques and interpersonal styles.  Within weeks,
she was admitted to GDA.

My experience and observation is that GDA takes extra time and care with
those who need added encouragement and support, while training veteran guide
dog handlers in a spirit of collegiality, giving individual attention to
the strengths and needs of each student.

Each student has his or her own large, comfortable bedroom suite with a
full-size bed and private relieving area.

Everyone--students, instructors, and dogs--sits together at one large dining
table for all three daily meals, where delicious food is served to order.
These meals are very pleasant and relaxed, and are supplemented by a roomful
of snack food that is as healthy or as junky as one wants.

Everyone travels to training destinations in the same van, and, because the
class is small, last-minute changes in scheduled training routes can be made
as the weather or student needs dictate.

Admittedly, the school is small and runs on a relatively low budget.  The
lion's share of resources are used for the dogs, for training, and for
individual student comfort.  There are no music rooms or scented gardens,
game rooms or formal lounges.  There is a well-stocked tape library, but
students are asked to bring their own playback machines, etc.  There are
nice grooming facilities, and a path around the campus.  But the campus is
small.  GDA is a comfortable place to be, but it is not high end or fancy.

I didn't feel at all deprived there, though.  The program is highly
structured like that of most schools, but the feeling was informal and
relaxed,
not at all authoritarian or custodial.

GDA graduates own their dogs.  There is good follow-up support for graduates
if  problems arise, and instructors visit grads at home if needed.  But
medical expenses after the first six months of ownership are the owner's
responsibility.  In contrast, GDB provides a veterinary safety net for its
grads, and the new guide dog owner might really like this.

As mentioned, GDA classes are small and tailored to student needs.  But
they're held two or three months apart.  So you might have to wait longer
for your first dog than at a larger school.

I expect that GDA has had its lean days as well as its lush ones.  Small
schools do struggle to make ends meet.  But GDA does some fun fundraisers,
and it has enthusiastic financial support from the surrounding community and
from its loyal founding union members.  The Boeing airplane manufacturer's
shop stewards raised $75,000 just this Spring.

I've been delighted with both my GDA dogs, and my 2009 classmates were all
very happy.  One classmate did have to return to the school owing to a
previously-undiagnosed health problem in her dog.  Her dog was adopted by a
GDA staff member, and she graduated again early this year with a new
partner.

I want to close with an anecdote that typifies the spirit of GDA.

Although I was happy with my last dog Wilson, and with my in-home GDA
training experience with him, I wanted, once in my life, to attend The
Seeing Eye.  I was fascinated by The Seeing Eye's history and traditions,
and wanted to be imbued with the spirit of Morris Frank.  The Seeing Eye's
CEO and many of its board members are blind, and that was key for me.  So,
when it was finally time to come back to guide dog school, I told GDA that I
wanted to go to Morristown.  They supported my choice, sending reference
letters for me, and asked me to stay in touch.

I enjoyed three days at The Seeing Eye, meeting interesting classmates and a
very good instructor assigned to my four-student cohort.  But to my dismay,
I found the dog assigned to me completely unsuitable.

Who wants to say that they don't want a sweet, lovable, cute little dog?
Surely not me!  But I'd struggled through two mismatches from GDB, and
didn't want the heartache and frustration of another one.  The Seeing Eye
told me there weren't any other dogs available for me, and sent me home!
They were gracious to me as I prepared to leave, but home I had to go,
without a dog.

Immediately after learning this, I called GDA and told them my story.  Their
response: "Don't worry!  WE love you!  We'll take you back."  Before that
call was finished, I was scheduled for the next GDA class.

I packed for my trip home knowing that I would get the right dog from a
school that knew me and respected my judgment.  I indeed felt loved, and
have never regretted my decision to go back.

You are wise to check out the many guide dog schools, and to think about
what you want in class and after graduation.  Guide dog school is a great
place to bond with your new dog, to learn new skills in a supportive
environment, and to make friends with other blind people.  It's a
life-changing  experience, wherever you go.

I know this has been a long message.  I hope it's been a helpful one.  Good
luck in whatever you do.

Elizabeth