[nagdu] Re Schools? and update on return from Gdb

Ioana Gandrabur igandrabur at gmx.de
Mon Jun 7 23:56:23 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Things were a bit crazy after my return so I am now taking the time to give
an update of our progress and also talk about the new gdb program. I have
noticed there were some questions about schools and in home training so I
thought I connect those topics in one long message.

I'll start with what I know the least about:
1.Stepper, I know that GDB has started doing home training but have no idea
about the conditions and the results of this new offer. In my class there
were 2 people trained in home so their names were mentioned at graduation
without them being there.

2.  I am not sure I remember who was asking about schools so I thought I'd
talk a bit about the new gdb classes. I did not really read all your posts
so I hope I am not being too redundant.

Relatively recently GDB has started offering 3 week classes for first timers
and 2 week for retrains. You can still opt to go for 3 if you so wish even
if you are a retrain. I understand that at the Oregon campus they are even
offering 2 weeks for first timers. I am somewhat surprised but I suppose
that for some this might be a valid option to minimise time away from family
or work.

This reduction in time means that they have much smaller classes. Max 12 per
class. In my class we were only 9. 6  two week and the rest 3 week people.
We had about 5 instructors at times more would jump in to help out with
longer routs etc. The 2 and 3 weekers would do quite a bit of common
training especially in the last week when everybody was kind of rapping
things up. There were many more opportunities to chose what kind of route
you want to do (e.g. sidewalkless or freelancing or city work. everybody in
my class was confident and ready to go home after the program.

I had my concerns coming from a 4 week program but so far I am happy to
report that things are fabulous!

Julie, you once asked if the stress I had experienced in training was
because of the tight schedule or something of the kind. I don't think the
actual training was more stressful. What got to me at times was the
sensation to have to rush from one thing to an other and not wanting to miss
or be late for things with relatively little time in between to really
relax. But I think that some managed their time better than others. Training
itself was much more relaxing for me now than with Adrian but this might be
also because I am at my second dog and have a better idea of what I am doing
and also Loyal is a more willing to please dog. I did talk to a few people
that knew Adrian and they all agreed that he was a hand full so combining
this with my total inexperience was a bit challenging.

Loyal is adapting well to Montreal and to Adrian. I had a bit of a melt-down
when the first day Adrian was ignoring me totally and giving me the cold
shoulder. I ended up putting Loyal on tie-down in a different room to give
Adrian some pets and undivided attention with frustrating results. Adrian
was as I said completely ignoring me and the other pup was crying in the
other room for being left alone. That combination and the emotions of coming
home etc. basically ended up in a  rather tearful episode but after I had
let it all out things kept improving. I am now feeding both at the same time
in a very civilised manor. They ignore each other completely when Loyal is
working and attempt to play somewhat. I am monitoring this very carefully
because I don't want any dominate stuff going on in the early days. But the
nice thing is that if I ask them to stop they both listen. Adrian has
resumed more friendly relations with me so I end up holding 2 bones one for
each dog or playing tug with Loyal while petting Adrian.

Loyal's work is impeccable! No sign of testing me. The only small question
mark is some miscommunication between us and sometimes he seems hesitant and
rather too happy for my taste to reach home or final destination. Hope it is
just adjustment and not a more serious issue with insecurity. He is very
very, very diligent and remembers reworks perfectly. I have not taken out
the leash for a correction in 3 days. Simple gestures and verbal refocusing
work most the time. Exceptions are at the vet where his sniffing and
crawling around got quite out of hand.

Well thanks all for listening to my babbles and sharing our adventures!

All the best to you and good luck for those that look for the best program
that fits their needs.

Ioana Loyal and Adrian From: "Elizabeth Rene" <emrene at earthlink.net>