[nagdu] guide dogs

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:52:40 UTC 2010

You seem to be asking about two different situations, leaving the
harness on the dog when you're in a car and when you're at church. In
both cases, it depends on how long you're in/at those places. For
instance, if you're going for a 15-30 minute car ride, then it's fine
to leave the harness on. If however the trip is more than 30 minutes
or an hour one way, you might consider the notion of taking the
harness off. Last year, when I was going horseback riding and taking
my dog for the first month or so, I left the harness off since most
times, we were in a tight spot and every inch of space was covetted.
Add to that the fact that both my dog and I have long legs and I was
wearing boots when I got in the cars, and you can understand our
situation. I eventually decided not to take the dog since it was too
tight of a situation to be in for her for a 1.5 hours roundtrip.

When you're in training, they will talk with you about leaving the
harness on for a hwile and when you should take it off. In general
though, if you're going to be in the same place for an hour or more,
then with a new dog it's good to take it off. After you've had the dog
for a few months then you might decide to leave the harness on. For
instance, I will leave the harness on my guide when at church, but
i'll take it off when at a long meeting at work or when she's laying
under my desk.

As with other things though, you will be told things to do and not to
do, but ultimately it's up to you what you want to do when.

Wayne