[nagdu] Exercising with Your Dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jul 24 14:58:31 UTC 2011

Abigail,

Once upon a time I did go jogging with my guide dog.  It worked out
fine, but there are some definite things to avoid to make it work.  When
I went jogging with my guide I used a specific path meant for
hiking/biking.  It was a long smooth cement path that was well
maintained.  there are only gentle curves, no steps, overhead branches
or obstacles of any other variety.  The only thing to be mindful of is
other people using the paths.   I think a track would work just as
well.  I knew for me, moving at the faster pace there was going to be
less reaction time for me to stop or turn when my dog stopped or turned.
Jogging on a path that was meant for the purpose allowed me to just
follow without worry of being able to react in time or her missing
something at the faster pace.

Welcome to the list!
Julie