[nagdu] Guide Dog School

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Wed Mar 11 19:28:56 UTC 2015

I think the problem I have with guide dog schools saying that they are
concerned about the health and wellbeing of their dogs is the assumption
that we blind consumers are not concerned about the same thing.
If we are so untrustworthy than maybe they schools should screen more
carefully--sarcastic smile. Not debating with you, Marianne, but I'm
debating with the schools in absentia.

I had Leader Dogs for two of my dogs, for example. When I first got my super
dog, Evan, they gave ownership or rather transfer of title upon graduation
making them at that time one of the more progressive schools, since 2007,
however, that policy has changed and I did let them know  in  several
conversations my disagreement with that
 change.

Leader and other schools have an obsession with dog weight, now before you
lambaste me, I'm not saying we should have overweight dogs--smile.
But I do know of several cases with schools that retain ownership where the
local vet for the dog thought that the dog was within reasonable weight
limit and the schools did not and some of the schools made threatening
noises sometimes being quite rude to grads I know from one or the other
school.
Anyway, JMO.

I hope all dogs and people out there are doing great today.