[NAGDU] Use of treats during training

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 13:24:53 UTC 2016

First of all, you have to realize that there is a huge difference
between using treats in the initial stages of training a new skill vs.
in rewarding an already solid task performance. Trainers might give a
dog a treat every time they stop at an upcurb when they are first
introducing the dogs to the stopping at curbs concept. Once the dog
has a solid understanding of this skill, the frequency of treats are
gradually reduced until they are only given on the rare occasion. Some
dogs are more food motivated than others and different dogs struggle
with different tasks, which will effect when, where, and how often
treats are used to achieve maximum results. The idea is that the dog
always has hope there is a food reward coming, but doesn't expect it
to happen every single time.

Treats only lead to scavenging if they are used improperly. If you
only let your dog take treats from your hand or only on other surfaces
with permission, food rewards will not lead to scavenging. If you let
your dog eat treats you accidentally drop on the floor or share your
food with your dog while you are actually eating, then this could
possibly lead to scavenging.

Using food rewards will not create a dog that only works for food,
once again if used properly. Dogs work because they enjoy it and they
receive praise from you, but many dogs learn more quickly and have a
more solid grasp of the concept when a primary reinforcer is used.
Food rewards are one training tool, not the only training tool. It's
the same with a correction collar. Your dog should work because he
enjoys it and because he wants to please you, not because he's afraid
to get a correction and only works when that collar is on. You use a
verbal correction and/or the correction collar to let your dog know
when he does something unacceptable, and you use praise and/or treats
to let your dog know when he does something you approve of. If the dog
only works for treats, something went seriously wrong somewhere.
Either the reward was taken away before the dog actually learned the
skill, treats were used too often or not enough, the dog really isn't
cut out for guidework after all, there was a miscommunication between
trainer and handler on the propper application of food rewards, or the
dog and handler have not developed a bond of mutual trust and respect.
The trainer or handler who use treats 100% of the time for the dogs
entire life do not have a clear understanding of how treats work, just
as trainers/handlers who correct the dog for something they haven't
yet learned do not understand how to properly administer corrections.

When I was in class two years ago, the school was just starting to
switch from more correction based training to more positive methods.
We used treats mainly for obedience commands, most notably stays and
recalls. The trainer suggested using treats for some of the find
commands as well, but we didn't really use them too much during class.
Once I came home, I introduced my dog to clicker training and started
using food rewards more often. He's very food motivated, and I figured
why not use that to my advantage? I've actually been able to use food
rewards to minimize scavenging in some circumstances. For example,
teaching him to target a specific seat in my high school cafeteria
using food rewards dramatically decreased the amount of scavenging
while walking through the hallway leading to it, where there was
always food all over the floor. Treats also help with making walking
familiar routes frequently more interesting, since this is something
my dog hates doing.

I carry a treat pouch and clicker with me most of the time when I walk
long distances outside and almost always on my college campus, while I
generally don't bring it with me to simply walk around a store. I'm
the kind of person that is always looking for a training opportunity
though. I've taught my dog many new skills in addition to those
trained by the program, reinforced the one or two tasks he has some
trouble with (mainly overheads), and worked through scavenging and dog
distraction all using treats part of the time.

Different training methods work better for different dogs. Handlers
can misuse treats just as they can misuse a correction collar. When
used correctly, treats can be an excellent training tool.

Danielle and Thai