[NAGDU] A rant sort of

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 04:20:41 UTC 2016

Hi, Cindy, I just wanted to thank you for sharing because I'm getting close
to retiring my boy and I'm not in perfect health by any means, and will have
to figure out what to do. I really don't want to be without a dog, but I
know I'll need to be walking more than I do with a new dog, too. People have
encouraged me to get a  new dog, I think these days not all dogs need to be
running down the street several miles a day!  (smile!) But, seriously, from
what I understand, dogs are trained for those of us who aren't quite as
spry as we used to be and have issues to deal with.

I've just ahd the absolute best dog for the last 9 years, and I'm going to
be so lost without him. He'll be 12 years old in January, and this fall is
the first that I've really seen him starting to slow down and have trouble
with his joints.  Fortunately, my lifestyle is pretty easy, having to use
the paratransit to get to work, so he works around the neighborhood and we
go here and there but it's a pretty easy life and probably is why he has
continued to work so long. But his work is still just as accurate as ever.
But I've been having to leave him home at times when I can tell he's having
trouble with those old joints.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has experience or knows about guide dogs for
those of us who are getting older, if some schools are better than others
for these kind of situations.

Best,
Charlene Ota