[NAGDU] owner training resources

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Apr 14 13:21:41 UTC 2019

Because there have been questions and some curiosity about owner training recently on the list, here is a list of resources, mostly free.

Owner trainer and general guide and service dog resources I offer:

***Meet Up***

We are set up for the owner trainer meet up Memorial Day weekend, Friday May 24 to Monday May 27 in Kansas City.  we have Ten rooms, all with 2 queen beds, set aside. The rate is $89+tax per night per room. The phone number group members need to call to make their reservations is 816-464-2423. That is the direct number to the Best Western Airport. Provide the code 1018, and let them know you're with the Service Dog Handlers group, and you'll get the rate. If anyone books and later decides they can't make it, like most hotels do, this one has a 48-hour advance cancellation policy due to the holiday...So any cancellations will need to be made by 4:00 PM KC Time on The 22Nd of May, Wednesday, or the person's card will be charged. it's set so that everyone makes and pays for their own reservation.

A huge thank you to Candy Smith and Wes Derby for their work in getting this set up! Wes has graciously provided his contact info, if there are any problems with making reservations with the hotel.

wes at wesderby.net and 614-828-7602

I  am offering scholarships for 1 to 3 individuals to assist with being able to attend this event.  If you will not be able to attend without financial assistance, please contact me at: julielj at neb.rr.com with what you need and how the meet up will assist you with owner training.  I will decide by April 20 who will be awarded the scholarships.

Meet up attendees should be interested in pursuing owner training, be a current owner trainer, prior owner trainer or supportive of others right to owner train a guide or service dog.  The meet up is a casual event with opportunities to talk with other owner trainers, share training approaches, check out a variety of equipment, eat lots of good food and be supported by like minded individuals.

Each attendee is responsible for the cost of hotel, transportation, food and miscellaneous expenses.  There is no cost for the event itself.  I will host a reception Friday evening with light snacks and refreshments.  Saturday afternoon I will host the equipment show and tell, where everyone is encouraged to bring equipment to show everyone.  If you would like to buy, sell or trade equipment this is also a good time for that.  I will bring a number of my On The Go products.

If you have questions, concerns or plan on attending, please let me know, julielj at neb.rr.com.  I’ll add you to my list and be sure to keep you up to date as the event nears.

***Phone Chat***

our next audio group chat is Saturday April 20.  The chat typically occurs every other Saturday. All things guide dog, service dog, owner training, health, nutrition or equipment related are open for discussion.

The times are:

7 Eastern

6 Central

5 Mountain

4 Pacific

and the instructions to join are:

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/9449141880

Or iPhone one-tap:

    US: +14086380986,,9449141880#  or +16468769923,,9449141880#

Or Telephone:

        US: +1 408 638 0986  or +1 646 876 9923

    Meeting ID: 944 914 1880

    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/bZC0JzpxU

***The book I wrote on owner training***

book description: Rejecting the standard method of obtaining a guide dog, Julie, a blind woman,  sets out on a quest to train her own dog as a guide.  With a deep desire to combine her joy of dogs and her soul’s need to come to terms with the most secret, never confessed, doubts about her capabilities as a blind person, Julie chooses Monty, a stray, who tries hard to become a respectable guide dog.  Together they set out on a year long journey to find trust in each other and in themselves.  The pair struggle to find their way, delighting in the triumphs and  trying not to be overcome with doubts they experience in the year  leading up to the day Monty accompanies Julie to work for the first time.

includes sample training plan

Available from Amazon as a Kindle digital book or large print paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/Courage-Dare-Blind-Womans-Quest-ebook/dp/B00QXZSMOC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=the+courage+to+dare&qid=1554996477&s=digital-text&sr=1-3

***one on one coaching***

I offer personal coaching via telephone or in person for individuals in Southeast Nebraska or locations where I am hosting or attending events.

http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com/coaching/

Please note: I do not train dogs for others.  I help you to be able to train your dog yourself.

***Products***

I operate the company On The Go. I  make harnesses and other equipment as well as stock manufactured equipment specifically selected with guide and service dog users in mind.  If you would like a product catalog in text format, please send an email to: julielj at neb.rr.com

My web site is: http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com

Please note we are updating the web site to include a shopping cart, so not all products are currently on the web site.

I also have a shop in the Blind Mice Mega Mall.  All products are currently available in this shop.

<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>

I do custom work.  If you are looking for something I do not have listed, please contact me.  I am happy to create one of a kind items upon request.  julielj at neb.rr.com or 402-363-8997

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>