[NAGDU] Traveling to and from NZ and the US with a guide dog and NFB convention attendance

Martine Abel martine.the1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 14 00:52:12 UTC 2019

Hi all,
I'm planning to attend the NFB convention for the first time this year and am in the middle (well, actually, hopefully, quite towards the end) of processing all the form-filling for Westin to travel with me. It's surely a very complicated process. One can't simply go on the import and export information on our Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) website. My vet has been spending hours of free time liaising with officials to get the correct details for the paperwork, as some of the information online is contradicting which doesn't help.

Getting Westin into the States doesn't seem like such a huge issue apart from the Auckland airport needing about 4 documents; it's bringing Westin back which causes most of the blood tests, vaxinations and stuff like that, but I'm decided to bring Westin with me to Las Vegas for 2 reasons: firstly, I'd love to experience him working with me at a conference of that size and especially in the light of NAGDU being part of the convention. Secondly, I'm busy with experiencial survey work on behalf of the World Blind Union, as I'm its treasurer and lead, access to the environment and transport, so, in 2015 we did a huge survey project around international travel with a guide dog including the costs, so, this time round I'll get an updated personal sense of the latest costs.

Wish me luck and I am looking forward to meeting up with those of you who're going to the Convention.
Cheers
Martine