[NAGDU] The Seeing Eye's comments on the Department of Transportation's Notice of Proposed Rule Making on Traveling by Air with Service Animals

Jenine Stanley jeninems at icloud.com
Fri Feb 21 14:39:57 UTC 2020

Absolutely agree with Buddy here.

I know, having worked at a school, how the definition of “trainer” negatively effects the ability of the school to have its staff travel but if you think people fake disability now, just wait until you include “trainers” in the definition. We already have concerns about wayward puppy raisers claiming “trainer” status to gain access aside from what their programs tell them.

I’d say that the schools and others, particularly the owner/trainers, band together and talk to the airlines about a program like Puppies in Flight that considers credentials or specific processes to vet, pardon the pun, actual trainers, either those working for organizations or the owner/trainer, who would be covered anyway in many cases as the animal is providing disability mitigation for that person during the flying experience.

My somewhat sarcastic comment during the process of developing these proposed regs was that the schools would just have to hire a bunch of disabled people to ferry the dogs back and forth if needed as then the dog would be providing disability mitigation for that person.

To be clear, the regs do allow for a trainer to take a dog to a disabled person, but it doesn’t go the other way, hence Puppies in Flight. If you’re not familiar with Puppies in Flight, it’s a program, started I think by US Air, to help schools in ADI move dogs around the country. They can help get retiring dogs back to the schools, puppies to raisers or from raisers, and dogs back to the school for evaluation or retraining without their person. Specially trained airline staff fly deadhead with the dogs. The program does have limitations, like blackout periods during the holidays but otherwise it’s a good program