[Nfb-announce] An Opportunity for the Emerging Generation of Blind and Low-Vision Youth!

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Tue Aug 7 14:17:26 UTC 2018

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND CAREER MENTORING PROGRAM

When you are blind or low vision, and already face challenges that others
don't seem to understand, what are the tools and strategies that can
prepare you to be successful in college and in life? With so many
misconceptions and negative attitudes about blindness, how will you succeed
in a world where the employment market is ever changing? In a world where
opportunities are all around you, but you just cannot decide which one fits
your skills, interests, and abilities, how will you land your dream job? If
you want answers, the National Federation of the Blind Mentoring Program is
for you.

We are actively recruiting blind and low-vision mentees to participate in
this dynamic program.

Go to https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11742&qid=2333598 [1] and sign up to become a mentee.

As a mentee, through shared experiences with the support of your mentors,
you will have an opportunity to take charge of your own life, to become
more independent, and to master alternative blindness skills. If you are
willing to challenge yourself you will be given the tools and resources you
need to succeed.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDE:

MENTORING: Meet and work one on one with mentors from around the country,
in all professional fields who are blind or low vision. You will not only
have direct access to their professional expertise but also to sources who
can answer questions about how to become an engineer, lawyer or social
worker as a blind person.

CAREER EXPLORATION: Get a chance to find out what your strengths are, and
what careers are out there which best suit you. You won't just read about
career options, you will be placed in internships or shadowing experiences
to really know what a typical day in your chosen field is like.

JOB READINESS SKILLS: You may be able to use your technology, but do you
know how to write a resume that stands out from the rest? How do you land
internships and summer employment opportunities in fields that will help
you decide what career you want to pursue? Do you know how to prepare for
an interview so thoroughly that an employee will see you as an outstanding
candidate? These are just a sample of the skills we will help you develop.

WORK EXPERIENCE: Whether you dream of becoming a corporate lawyer, a doctor
or a mechanic, we will give you the skills and guidance to land the summer
job or internship you've always wanted. These internships will be designed
to help you define your future. We don't believe in one size fits all,
rather we want you to take advantage of the knowledge and resources we
offer to craft your future.

PEER TO PEER INTERACTION: Ever felt like the only blind or low vision
person you know? This program will introduce you to students from all
around the country. You will have the opportunity to share experiences and
build a professional network.

For more information, check out the article in the April issue of the
"Braille Monitor," entitled "Changing Attitudes Regarding Education,
Employment, and Rehabilitation through the National Federation of the Blind
CAREER Mentoring Program:"
https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11743&qid=2333598 [2].
You can also contact Maurice Peret, coordinator of Career Mentoring
Programs, at 410-659-9314, extension 2350 or at mperet at nfb.org.

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want,
blindness is not what holds you back.

 		 [3]
 		 [4]
 		 [5]
 		 [6]

 		 [7]

 		 National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314

 		 Unsubscribe [8] | Opt Out [9] | Sign up for email newsletter [10]

 		 200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States
..