[Nfb-cars] Model car kits for the blind.

marcro52 at aol.com marcro52 at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 05:37:03 UTC 2012

I tested the link I provided in my previous post, but the computer tells me
 the page can't be found.  So, I'll copy and paste the descriptions  here:

The model car kits that are designed to be built by those who are blind,
elderly, or learning disabled, are made of layers of hand cut, profile shaped
 pieces of corrugated cardboard, to be glued one upon the other, to form
the  entire model.
Non-toxic white glue (not included) is applied to  each part, as the model
builder then presses it in place upon the previous  part.  The parts are
arranged in the proper order, according to the emailed  instructions.
The bumper protrusions on each cardboard  layer provide tactile reference
points for assembly by feel.  I  assemble each prototype with my eyes closed,
to test the fitting.
Patterns  for the parts are included, in case it becomes necessary to make
new  parts.
The elderly should find these models easy and enjoyable to build,  also.
Supervision, to whatever degree is required, is recommended to help  those
with learning disabilities with assembly.

TO ORDER:
Please send  an email to _marcro52 at aol.com_ (mailto:marcro52 at aol.com)
regarding the model(s) in which you  are interested.  In the Subject box, write
Special Needs Model  Kits, so I know it is not spam.  Payment information
will be  emailed to you.
PayPal payments can be accepted by logging in  to PayPal, and sending money
to my PayPal account, under my email  address.
Because of the amount of hand labor involved for me to make these kits,
the price is $54.75 each, but that includes shipping and  handling in the
continental USA.  I cut the parts for each kit by  hand, and test fit each
against a pattern.  This is a three hour  task.  I make each kit as I receive
orders for it.
If you have a certain  type of car in mind, please let me know, and I will
try to make a kit of that  car, at no extra charge.

Shipping is through the _US Postal Service_
(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=26
7&type=2&ext=230842712692&item=230842712692) .

1955 Rambler Country Club hardtop:
Size when assembled is 9.25 inches long, 2.75 inches wide, and 3.25  inches
high.  The 1955 Rambler Country Club hardtop was one of the most
attractive American made compact cars of its day.  It had somewhat of a  squared off
design, typical of American cars of the 1950s.  The model has  the styling
features of this car: the front fenders are slightly higher than the  surface
of the hood, with the raised area at the base of the windshield to
represent the cowl vents.  The rear fenders extend slightly beyond the  trunk, and
between them is the spare tire sitting upright on the bumper, riding
"continental style", a popular option with these cars.
1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk:
Size when assembled is 10 and 5/8 inches long, 3 inches wide, and  3.5
inches high.  The model has the features of the 1956 Studebaker  Golden Hawk:
the deeply sculptured hood, with the high center section, and the  valleys
between the center section and the front fenders; the small rear fender  fins
unique to the 1956 Golden Hawk, and the sculptuered trunk, with its center
section flanked by valleys between it and the rear fenders.  This sport
coupe set the styling trend for many personal luxury coupes to follow in later
years.
1955 Packard:
Size when assembled is 11 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 3.75 inches  high.
The model has the obvious features of a 1955 Packard, with the forward
slanting front fenders, the side bulge on the rear fenders, and the overall
squared off appearance typical of mid-1950s American cars.
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe:
Size when assembled is 11 inches long, 2 and 7/8 inches wide, and  3.5
inches high.  The model has the features for which the 1950 and 1951
Studebakers were known: the bullet shaped hood, the rounded rear window, and the  side
bulge on the rear fenders.
1950 Nash AirFlyte:
Size when assembled is 11 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 3 and  5/8 inches
high.  The model has the obvious features of the 1949 and  1950 _Nash
AirFlyte_
(http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=267&type=2&ext=390475561985&item=390475561
985) , which some people liken to an overturned  bathtub: the rounded
front, the smooth sides, the arched, rounded shape of the  roofline as it slopes
to meet the rear bumper, and the small wheel openings that  nearly cover all
four wheels.  This was one of the few cars of its era to  be designed in a
wind tunnel, and was very aerodynamic.
I am eager to answer any questions you have, and I need your  suggestions.
Thank you,
Mark Crowel