[NFB-Kzoo] Fwd: September minutes

Amyrillis Payne amyrillis1001 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 02:27:20 UTC 2020

NFB Kalamazoo Meeting 11/10/2020

Roll/attendance

Robert P-President, Amyrillis P-Secretary, Rashid D-Vice President, Victor
M-Treasurer, Rachel P-Member, Steven C-visitor, Ellis-Member, Jason
M-Member, Osman-Member

Begins 8:01 P.M.

First topic: Treasurer report

No change since last meeting.  $420 in the account. Collecting dues tonight
for 2021 until next meeting.

Monet motions to close, Rachel seconds

Second topic: NFB Minute updates

·         Everyone has received the minutes and there is no discussion on
the minutes.

·         Were going to work on adding emails to the list serve so anyone
who wants to be registered is registered.

·         Motion to close by Rachel to pass minutes, Victor seconds and
motion passes.

Third topic: State Convention

·         Feedback on state convention

·         Monet suggests having the agenda attached to the email that
contains the zoom rooms.

·         Rachel suggests clarity with the breakout session and room for
ease.

·         Victor says he enjoyed putting events together and working within
leadership roles behind putting the convention together. He urges all to
try and run an event or take part in being part of the convention.

·         Jason says he was very satisfied with how convention went and he
loved the toastmasters segment of the convention.

·         Steven says he really found this convention to be interesting
especially since It was the first time we have had an online convention.

·         Robert is very proud of how far our chapter has come since last
year because everyone in this chapter did their best and showed their true
passion for this chapter.

Meet the blind Month

·         Victor says it was unable to happen because the coffee house did
not have the staff to support our event and turned us down for that
location. After this there were plans for a virtual event but then members
fell ill and were a bit disorganized.

·         The plan is to be more orgonized in the future and try and hold
this event in person some time.

·         Jason suggests a Youtube video to still be created and sent out
about blindness.

·         Robert suggest having an event like going bowling or having an
outing where we bring awareness to blindness that does will focus on the
fundraising portion a bit less and more on bringing awareness to meet the
blind month.

·         Meet the blind month is an activity that was started as an
organization and because of this not everyone is aware of this.

·         Robert suggests reaching out to other members of other
communities who are not blind or low vision to help expand the network and
awareness of meet the blind month.

New Business

·         National Scholarship is live.

·         Scholarship deadline is March 31st

·         Robert gives the tip that the weekend of the convention is the
same weekend of the essence festival will be held during the same week so
this can make arrangements difficult.

·         Kenneth Jernagin scholarship available for first timers

Washington Seminar is coming up

·         Jason says because it is virtual it

·         Meet with all 16 congress members and we all talk about three
issues like college education, accessibility issues, and other topics close
to this.

·         Jason asks that anyone in Michigan learn about the issues ahead
of time before we meet with the congress members so questions can be
organized and put together.

·         Robert says last year there were only 2 reps from Kalamazoo so we
hope to have more participants this year.

·         Nabs replaced the leadership seminar with an at large seminar
which is intended to sharpen students advocacy skills through public
speaking. It has a pear mentor program where you will be matched with a
mentor. It also includes discussions that will help you be able to learn
about the federation and their history as well as how to speak publicily.
If you want to join this you can register until December 15th and they are
asking students who want to register to register now. It is $25 and this
covers the entire weekend of activities(virtual). The dates are January 9th
and 10th www.nabslink.org. Rachel will send the link to the student
division.

·         Victor has been suggested as a mentor for public speaking at this
event.

NABS fundraiser

·         The first night(Monday evening) Nabs is having a dinner party
this year that is looking for people to help advertise the event and
support. They are looking for students and businesses that can provide
auction items, they are like an attendance award. Anything can be a door
prize. Action items are things that will be bid on and can be sold at a
higher value. Ex: Nobody will buy a $30 gift card for more than its value.
If you know anyone,Orgonization, or business that will have donations
please contact Robert and if the item is $150 and up the person can just
make it as a pledge and if it is under this price you can get an address to
sent this to. ALL DONATIONS ARE BEING WELCOMED TO DONATE TO NABS.

Elections

·         We are still having a December meeting virtually and since there
are no dues paid yet we cannot vote

·         Victor requests dues at $5 and form to be filled out so all can
be registered

·         Dues give you the ability to vote on issues and elections.

·         Robert is no longer serving as president of the chapter next
semester for 2021. He is finishing up his education and he is relocating
for 6month to south Dakota to work for their blind and low vision training
center. He is still going to be a member.

Announcements

·         Celebrating Rashid being selected for a scholarship

·         Congrats to Victor and Taylor for getting rave reviews on their
resolution.

Robert adjourns the meeting,

Monet moves to close meeting.

GOODBYE-8:55 pm