[NFB-Kzoo] Kalamazoo "Meet the Blind Month" Event - Change in Plans

Victor Marques therealvictormarques at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 18:45:46 UTC 2020

Hello fellow chapter members,

We had difficulty securing a commitment from the establishment where we were
going to hold our event this coming Saturday.  Given the difficulty in
securing that site and also other businesses willing to partner with us
during COVID, or securing a free public location that had enough foot
traffic to make the event worthwhile, we have decided to cancel the
in-person event and instead pivot and turn this into a virtual event, just
like most other events this year.

What Rashid and I decided on is to compile a 3 minute video of a few of our
federation/chapter members, whoever would like to volunteer, talking about
"a day in the life." We are looking for 30-45 seconds, no more, about what
your typical day looks like, what you do for a living/for education, and one
or two blindness tools/technologies you feel are important to you.  Talk
about your cane, your guide dog, your CCTV or magnified phone/computer,
screen reader, iPhone, etc, but just briefly mention what it is and what it
does to enhance your independence. Keep it to one or two things, or we will
have to re-record your segment until it's short enough. Then, if you are
brave and have your submission down to the 30-45 second limit, reach out to
me and we will connect over Zoom. I'll record your submission and we will
compile the submissions into an approximately 3 minute video that we will
share to the community over Facebook sponsored ad, and we can find other
places to post it as well (perhaps Youtube).  We can also share the word to
our Kalamazoo area that way about our chapter and the interesting and
diverse lives that our chapter members have, right here in the community.
It's not the same as an in-person event, but hopefully this will help spread
awareness.

We are seeking 3-4 participants. It's my goal to have this done by the end
of the month. If you are interested, get back to me ASAP and prepare your
submission so that it's ready when we connect to record in the next few
days.  We will do a very basic video editing job (just cutting and pasting
clips together) so it won't be too fancy or professional, but we'll still
get our message out there.

Victor and Rashid.