[Nfb-science] BN Info

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:25:41 UTC 2008

Hello Christine,
I would be happy to discuss options with you off-line at
jmiller at ucsd.edu or my home phone 858-527-1727.

Purchasing access technology that allows us to complete our studies
efficiently or do our professional jobs takes some knowhow and
persistence.
Monitor Miniatures list blindness equipment people wish to sell but
there is not enough volume that the item you would want is frequently
for sale.
I thought I would write on a more general topic.
My friend Brian Buhrow performs his job quite successfully as a blind
individual using a laptop and speech only.
He is a software programmer and Unix system administrator.  He may have
a refreshable Braille display or a Braille notetaker with Braille
display,
But I do not hear him talk about them much.
I, on the other hand, use a focus 80 braille display and a Braille note
PK.
My work is much less efficient when the Braille display is unavailable.
The Braille note pk allows me to take notes in the Nemeth Braille Code
and review
Electronic copies of nemeth scientific material that is not in hard
copy.
I also use a Tiger Braille embosser that can make raised-line drawings
from PDF files of matlab output.
I must plan for the repair of these expensive machines and eventual
replacement as part of my career.
Rehab will only help blind individuals with an open case.  Those qualify
who are earning below SGA.
And the help usually comes quite slowly.
Some employers will pay for expensive access technology but not all.
If you ask for an employer to purchase access equipment, do your
homework, have a price quote, explain what the technology will enable
you to do in the work place,
And be able to speak to why a competing technology is a less desirable
choice.
I do what I can to keep access technology service contracts up to date.
Inevitably, it is 1 month after rehab closes a case that the technology
requires servicing for $1000 or more if the
Service contract has lapsed.

I would enjoy hearing from others about access technology that they
personally find helpful in studies or doing science.
Very best,
John