[Nfb-science] Accessible Lab

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 3 17:31:31 UTC 2009

Dear Blind Collegian,

Getting a sighted lab partner, who can really describe structures and
details to you would be very helpful and obtaining tactile drawings would
also be very helpful.
Also talk to your instructor so they understand what you need in being able
to get the most out of the class and so they can make any modifications to
the way they conduct test and quizzes.  If it is all based on what you can
"see", then they need to figure out just how to present it so that you can
get the info from it you need to understand what is being presented and how
to recognize it and identify it.

Work with the instructor and both you, the instructor and maybe even other
class members will gain from how the info is presented.
You are paying for this education, so you should be getting everything you
paid for.

Talk to the office of Students With Disabilities and they maybe able to work
with you also.
Remember, Under the ADA, all entities doing business or offering services to
the Public and receiving federal funds, as most colleges and universities
do, must comply with the accommodations of the ADA or face loss of those
funds.
Be flexible, but don't be bullied either.  Your education is just as
important as any other student.
There are places where you can get tactile models of many kinds of things,
biological, electrical, electronic, chemical and structural.  If the
Jernigan Institute doesn't have some leads, keep asking on the list.  Your
most valuable resource are other informed Blind people.

David Evans, NFBF
Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter