[Nfb-science] Accessible Lab

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 4 04:28:20 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I would suggest that the Jernigan Institute begin collecting ideas and
methods that Blind students have used and package them  so  that students
can get them from the institute when needed.
Rapid 3-D Prototyping could be one method used to make cheap, tactile models
of many items and Braille and tactile drawings and maps could also be made
of common items used in lab classes.
Special tools and devices could be gathered and purchased for different lab
requirements also.

Take apart models, such as a model of a human cell could be made and would
be great in giving the concept of the various parts within a cell.
  A model of a planetary gear set would be good for those learning about the
use of gear ratios and their interaction in a transmission for a vehicle.
Models of chemical molecules come in handy for visualizing the structure of
polymer make up and the interaction of elements in a chemical solution.
If we want kids to learn science and math, we need to help provide them the
tools that help them do it.

David Evans, NFBF
Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter