[Nfb-science] Introduction

Stephanie Hirst sjhhirst at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:20:53 UTC 2010

Hi, nice to hear from you.  I'm also visually impaired and working in the
biomedical sciences.  I have about 20/400 visual acuity, with about 20/240
corrected.  I'm currently wrapping up my second year in grad school at
Vanderbilt University. I did try my hand at organic chemistry and
biochemistry, but now I find myself working in a computational biology lab
doing protein structure prediction. I'm really excited there's another
biologist here!  It seems the vast majority of people on this list work in
more physics, computer science, etc.  What kind of research do you do
exactly?  Where do you work? This is really exciting!

I think I can understand how hard this will be.  Are there ways for you to
hire assistants/staff to help you with interpreting some of the data?  How
about shifting focus to the more bioinformatics/computational biology
aspects? One reason why I like what I'm doing is because I can still think
about biologically relevant problems but don't exactly have to have good
vision to do it. It is hard though because I do structural biology, which
requires looking at models etc. Other people in our lab work on
cheminformatics and QSAR analysis for predicting active compounds from high
throughput screening (for drug discovery). For these, I don't think you need
to see as much. We do a lot of programming and scripting, but it's all to
the same end of forwarding biomedical research.

Although Im only a graduate student, I've found that people (in academia
anyway) are pretty accommodating as long as you can show that you're capable
of doing science and have good ideas and are very motivated. There are often
ways to work around the disability. And the NIH seems to be very eager to
give money to disabled people to do research, including money for special
visual aid equipment, travel, etc.

Good luck, and maybe we can keep in touch!

~ Stephanie HIrst